As you probably already know, there are different styles that are used for writing any type of paper. One of the most popular ones is MLA. It can be used to cite your work and format the paper in the correct way. Why does it matter so much to use a specific style? It can help you make your work more readable, and what is more important, you will cite the works of other authors. Citations will show that your essay was not plagiarized. In this article, you can find the best tips and hints on how to write an MLA format essay.
Writing an MLA format essay
MLA format is not as hard to learn as it seems. Here are some general tips on how to write an MLA format paper easily:
- There are no strict rules regarding the font, but it is always best to use Times New Roman. The size of the font should always be 12 pt, not more or less.
- The whole paper should be double spaced. It is something many students forget about when writing an MLA paper, so try to keep that in mind.
- Margins for your document should be 1 margin on all sides. For the beginning of every paragraph, you should indent it a one-half inch. Use the button “Tab” for that purpose.
- If the header is required, start with the one inch at the top of the page. You should write your name, the name of your professor, the course number, and date.
- The title page is not always necessary for this paper. It should be double-spaced and centered. Don’t write in all capital letters; for the title, you need to use the Title Case.
- Page numbers should be put in the right corner at the top. You should include your last name before the page number. Page numbers can also be optional, so check out the instructions to be sure.
- If you want to include images in the text, put them as close to the place where they are referenced as you can. You should give a number for each image and cite it as well.
It might be hard to keep in mind all of these rules, but it is not as hard as it seems. Just use this guide, and your paper will stay on top.